On the 8th December 2018, the Marae Options Committee (made up of representatives of our Hapū) presented the ‘Marae Options Information’ booklet at the Hui-ā-Hapū (Click here to read the Information booklet). After thorough investigation, only one feasible option remained – to develop the Marae at the current location and rebuild the existing stopbank to mitigate the flood risk. This option would also include building a new wharekai, improving site drainage, upgrading existing buildings and reserving funds.
We thank the ‘Marae Options Committee’ for their mahi to get us to this stage.
After engagement with the Hapū in December 2018, the Tangoio Marae Trustees (TMT) and Maungaharuru-Tangitū Trust (MTT) resolved to formally establish the ‘Marae Development Committee’. The committee will comprise eight members:
- two from the Marae Trustees – Guy Te Kahika (Marae Chairperson) and Diana Taunoa (Marae Trustee);
- two from MTT – Tania Hopmans (Deputy Chair of MTT) and Charmaine Butler (MTT Trustee);
- two whānau representatives; and
- two co-opted representatives.
The committee will also be supported by supported by James Lyver – MTT Kaiwhakahaere Matua (General Manager) and the Kaiwhakawhanake-a-Marae (Project Manager) – to be appointed. The Chairperson of the committee will be determined once the committee has been established.
This pānui is a call for ‘Expressions of Interest’ to fill the two (2) whānau representative roles. The responsibilities of the Marae Development Committee are:
- To maintain oversight, contribute, critique and correct all components of the plan, related research and budget;
- To ensure consultation and communications are undertaken appropriately and regularly with the Marae Trustees and whānau;
- To review annually, the Terms of Reference and the effectiveness of the Committee as well as its Chairperson. A report is to be provided to the Trustees, along with any changes deemed necessary or desirable; and
- To provide regular reports to the TMT and MTT including progress on milestones under the Plan, expenditure to budget, consultation and communication activities and any other matters the TMT and MTT may request.
We are therefore particularly looking for two (2) appropriately suited whānau members, who have the time, the commitment and the energy to please self-nominate. We are specifically after individuals who can contribute specific skill/s and/or have appropriate expertise.
If this sounds like you, then please forward your name along with a brief message outlining your skills and attributes to firstname.lastname@example.org before Friday 7th June @ 5pm. If there are more than two (2) nominations, the decision will be made by the two (2) Tangoio Marae representatives and the two (2) Maungaharuru-Tangitū representatives.
Tēnā koutou katoa