Announcements of Land Categorisations for Future Flood Risk
- On Thursday 1 June 2023, our whānau learned that Tangoio, Pākuratahi, Petane and Te Waiohingānga / Esk have been included in Category 3 (High Risk Properties). Arapawanui and other areas within our takiwā were not included in any categories, though that may change.
- The Council has advised that this assessment is provisional.
- There is still more work to be done by Council and more information to consider, including discussions with our whānau property owners, before a final decision is made.
- We understand that engagement with our affected whānau will begin mid-June.
We will talk more about this at our upcoming Hui-ā-Hapū – Sunday 11 June at East Pier, Ahuriri, 12:30pm Kai, 1:30pm Hui
Supporting our affected whānau
- On the day of the announcement, we met with whānau at Arapawanui and Tangoio.
- We will be meeting again soon, to listen to their needs and identify how MTT can help.
- In the meantime, the MTT Recovery Team is working with agencies to help clarify the process moving forward and identify options for whānau to consider.
- Click here for info on the Recovery Plan
Tangoio Marae area is included in Category 3, but so far the announcements are only about residential properties.